AAdvantage® program updates – AAdvantage® credit cards frequently asked questions (FAQs)
What AAdvantage® miles are eligible to earn Loyalty Points?
For American Airlines AAdvantage® credit cardmembers, eligible AAdvantage miles include the base miles earned on eligible purchases* using your AAdvantage® credit card, and do not include any bonus miles or accelerators
- Every base mile equals one Loyalty Point.
- Base miles earned vary by credit card type and issuing bank. See the base mile earn rate for AAdvantage® credit cards issued in the USA in the table below:
|AAdvantage® Credit Card issued in the USA||Base mile earn rate|
|Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive†||1 Base mile per $1 spent on purchases|
|Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select®†|
|Citi® / AAdvantage® Gold†|
|CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select®†|
|CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Select®†|
|AAdvantage® Aviator® Silver Mastercard®|
|AAdvantage® Aviator® Red Mastercard®|
|AAdvantage® Aviator® Blue Mastercard®|
|AAdvantage® Aviator® Business Mastercard®|
|AAdvantage® Aviator® Mastercard®||1 Base mile per $2 spent on purchases|
For AAdvantage® credit cards issued outside the USA, please refer to your bank for accrual details.
Bonus miles are the “extra” miles earned in addition to base miles, whether they are permanently or promotionally offered. Some examples include:
- AAdvantage® credit cards that earn “accelerators” or “multipliers” such as: extra miles for purchases in specific categories, with specific merchants (such as American Airlines purchases) or purchases made abroad.
- New account or welcome bonuses, spend bonuses, etc.
- Other promotional or recurring bonuses
Bonus miles do not earn Loyalty Points unless otherwise stated
Which AAdvantage® credit cards can earn Loyalty Points?
- All Citi® / AAdvantage®, all AAdvantage® Aviator® and all AAdvantage® credit cards issued outside the U.S. are eligible.
How will I get the miles toward Mastercard® Priceless Experiences?
- Miles toward a Mastercard® Priceless Experience are exclusive to U.S. American Airlines® AAdvantage® Mastercard® credit card holders that earn a Loyalty Point Reward level where the reward is offered as a Reward Choice
- Upon selecting miles toward a Mastercard® Priceless® Experience as your Reward Choice, you will receive a promo code via email that you can apply at checkout toward a Mastercard® Priceless Experience
- The promo code for miles toward a Mastercard® Priceless Experience can only be used toward Mastercard® Priceless Experiences available at priceless.com/aa
- Miles toward a Mastercard® Priceless Experience will not be deposited or reflected in your AAdvantage® account
- Promo codes will be available while supplies last
- Multiple promo codes cannot be combined on a single transaction
- Each promo code is valid for only one transaction
- Promo code value will be lost if not used in full in a single transaction
- Promo codes cannot be transferred or sold to others
- By selecting this choice, you are agreeing to share your data with Mastercard® and/or its third parties in relation to this promotion
- For full terms and conditions for Mastercard® Priceless Experiences visit priceless.com/aa
When will I see my Loyalty Points in my AAdvantage® account?
- Loyalty Points will be reflected as your eligible AAdvantage® miles post to your AAdvantage® account which typically take between 8-10 weeks from the transaction date. Please refer to your bank rules for more information about AAdvantage® miles posting timeframes.
Does my card activity count toward Million Miler℠ status?
- Only flight activity contributes toward Million Miler℠ status. Neither AAdvantage® miles nor Loyalty Points earned through your card contribute to Million Miler℠ status.
Does my AAdvantage® credit card earn additional Loyalty Points? (For cards issued in the US only):
For Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive World Elite Mastercard® cardmembers:For the AAdvantage® status qualification year, defined as March 1, 2023 – February 29, 2024, the primary cardmember will earn 10,000 additional Loyalty Points for fulfilling one of the following milestones: 1) after earning 50,000 Loyalty Points or 2) after spending $40,000 in purchases that post to the cardmember’s account. You can only earn the first 10,000 additional Loyalty Points once in the same AAdvantage® status qualification year.Earn another 10,000 Loyalty Point bonus after reaching 90,000 Loyalty Points in the same status qualification year.
For AAdvantage® Aviator® Silver Mastercard® cardmembers:For each qualifying year, March 1 through the last day of February the following year, you will earn 5,000 Loyalty Points if you spend $20,000 on purchases, another 5,000 Loyalty Points if you spend $40,000 on purchases and another 5,000 Loyalty Points if you spend $50,000 or more on purchases.
For further information on the new AAdvantage® program, click here.
*Purchases exclude balance transfers, cash advances, checks that access your credit card account, items and services returned for credit, unauthorized charges, interest and account fees, traveler’s checks, purchases of foreign currency, money orders, wire transfers (and similar cash-like transactions), lottery tickets, and gaming chips (and similar betting transactions).
†These cards are only available to individuals who reside in the United States and its territories, excluding Puerto Rico and U.S. Virgin Islands.
American Airlines reserves the right to change the AAdvantage® program and its terms and conditions at any time without notice, and to end the AAdvantage® program with six months’ notice. Any such changes may affect your ability to use the awards or mileage credits that you have accumulated. Unless specified, AAdvantage® miles earned through this promotion/offer do not count toward elite-status qualification or AAdvantage Million Miler℠ status.
American Airlines is not responsible for products or services offered by other participating companies. For complete details about the AAdvantage® program, visit aa.com/aadvantage ».
Travel booked on American Airlines may be American Eagle® service, operated by Envoy Air Inc., Republic Airways Inc., SkyWest Airlines, Inc., Air Wisconsin Airlines, PSA Airlines, Inc., or Piedmont Airlines, Inc.
American Airlines, American Eagle, AAdvantage, AAdvantage Million Miler, MileSAAver, Business Extra, Flagship, Admirals Club, Platinum Pro, AAdvantage MileUp®, AA Cargo, the Flight Symbol logo and the Tail Design are marks of American Airlines, Inc.
Citibank is not responsible for products or services offered by other companies. Cardmember program terms are subject to change.
© 2023 Citibank, N.A. Citi, Citi and Arc Design and other marks used herein are service marks of Citigroup Inc. or its affiliates, used and registered throughout the world.
The AAdvantage® Aviator® Mastercard® is issued by Barclays Bank Delaware (Barclays) pursuant to a license from Mastercard International Incorporated.
Barclays Bank Delaware (Barclays) is not responsible for products or services offered by other companies.
© 2023 Barclays Bank Delaware, Member FDIC.
Mastercard, World Mastercard and World Elite Mastercard are registered trademarks and the circles design is a trademark of Mastercard International Incorporated.